Matthew Bromley (1983 –2006)

Matt began playing basketball at
Clarendon School
, Trowbridge and in 1996 his school team won through to the England Schools National finals. As a junior player he joined Trowbridge Basketball Club and developed into one of the clubs most capable senior players. From the age of 16 Matt had contributed to the development of numerous young players in the Trowbridge area. His sense of humour and love of basketball was passed on to players who to this day carry this legacy with them.

His success with coaching took him to
Bath University, to undertake a Diploma in Sports Coaching. He reached the BUSA finals in 2004 with Bath University
. All players, coaches and friends will remember Matt for his friendly manner and know that their lives where better for knowing him. In 2005/06 Matt joined the Filton Flyers to play National League basketball.

(Vince Marriott; Coach to Team Bath and Trowbridge Basketball Club)

"Matt Bromley, a member of the recently promoted Division 2, Filton Flyers team, sadly passed away on Wednesday morning after being involved in a car accident. At the age of 23, Matt was one of the most talented and promising young players in the Bristol Basketball area. His sudden departure has shocked everyone who knew him and our thoughts and prayers are with his family. Matt, we will greatly miss you and will always remember you."

(Andreas Kapoulas, Filton Flyers)

Matt Bromley’s Mom with Andreas Kapoulas : (Coach of the Bristol Academy Flyers)   In the ceremony to retire Matt Bromley’s playing vest.

  Matt’s mom receiving his NBL Division 2 championship medal.

Team mates from Trowbridge Basketball Club, Bath University and Filton Academy join together to celebrate their friend Matt (Steg) Bromley in the only way they know – a basketball game in his honour. The game brought together players from all over the England who had the privilege to play a with and know Matt as a great friend.

Richard Marriott, long term school friend and team mate of Matt returned from Manchester to be part of a game which raised over £400 for the Heart Foundation.



Steve Ashton, 1978-2010  - a tribute

 On the evening of Tuesday 9 November, 2010, with some 30 seconds to play in a Division 1 match between Winterbourne and Pirates, Steve Ashton fell to the floor, unconscious.

 A doctor was present, a Pirates player attempted mouth to mouth resuscitation, paramedics arrived within minutes soon to be followed by an ambulance which took Steve to hospital. Despite all their efforts, Steve never recovered and died later that evening.

 Steve played as a forward who invariably found himself up against bigger opponents but his technique, smartness and physical courage enabled him to more than compensate. He first played in WEBBA in the 1997-98 season when he arrived at UWE where he began the basketball club and was also central to the team as captain, coach and player. After he graduated, he continued to play for UWE in local league basketball until the end of the 2006-7 season. From 2007 till 2010, he played with Storm and this season, he began to play for a new club, Winterbourne and so continued his involvement in  WEBBA.

 Steve was also closely associated with Bristol Academy Flyers. He was one of their original players when the national league team was formed. He was a key member of the team that gained promotion from National League Division 3 in 2005 and continued with them in Division 2 for a while. The fact that his life should end so prematurely on a basketball court, a place of so much enjoyment, excitement, entertainment and exhilaration is unbearably tragic.

 All who knew him speak of him as a great teammate and a great friend. He touched many with his passion for the game, his commitment, support and good humour. He leaves behind a wife, Jen, and two small children with another on the way. Our thoughts at this time are very much with them and the rest of Steve's family as well as those who were involved in the game last Tuesday and were witness to this tragic event.